logotype

WYNAJEM BIUR KATOWICE - SALE KONFERENCYJNE KATOWICE

Polish (Poland)English (United Kingdom)
Tadeusz Michejda- the father of modernistic Katowice

Tadeusz Michejda –Polish modernistic architect operating in the Upper Silesia during the Interwar Period, painter, the soldier of Polish Legion, Silesian Insurgent, public figure.

In 1925, he initiated the Association of Architects in Silesia. He became its first president. This organization made an effort to obtain the resolution of construction act, elaborated the price list of architectural works and prevented willfulness in construction works.

In 1930 he introduced steel skeleton technology to construction. Between 1934-199 he was a president of branch of Association of Architects of Republic of Poland in Katowice.

In the 1930’s he was a member and the activist of the Democratic Party. He conducted his professional activity till the Second World War. In January 1941 he was dispossessed from Katowice by the German. He never came back. He spent the war in Radom and devoted his life to painting. After the War, he was unable to perform his work due to his illness. He was unable to participate in public life any more. He died in Iwonicz Zdrój.

He contributed to arrangement of milieu of architects in the Upper Silesia during the Interwar Period. The buildings designed by this person are the most interesting of those erected at that time.

Tadeusz Michejda tried hard to unite the milieu of architects in the Silesian Region because he cared about the quality and the aesthetics of the objects erected at that time.

It should be pointed out that it was not very good time for people doing this work because before the year of 1938 everyone could be a building designer and no training was required.

In addition, nobody else but the father of modernism, the French architect Le Corbuiser became Michejda’s model for imitation.

It became the legend when the puppet of a French idol was made in Michejda’s house during the meeting.

Besides architecture, Michejda was interested in painting. He was a close friend of Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz and was influenced by him in terms of art. He painted nudes and landscapes. In 1936 he Gierymski Fine Arts School in Katowice.

However, the buildings that are the most precious treasures of Katowice are the most things that remained after Tadeusz Michejda.The first buildings designed with Lucjan Sikorski were modern, however they strictly referred to classicism with noticeable historic elements.

The building of Syndicate of Iron and Steel Industry (today Metallurgy Delivery Centre) and administration building of Muchowiec Airport are at stake.

In the course of time, the transformation of his attitude to architecture has occurred which can be noticed in buildings erected afterwards

The tenement of Head Office of District Polish Railways in Słowackiego Street is a type of functional building. The seven-floor building has got winter gardens, circular quoin o balconies and glassed surface. The Town hall in Janów is the other type which was also erected in 1931 (today hospital).

Tadeusz Michejda was one of the first architects in Poland who used the steel skeleton for construction. This type of construction was used to build the house of Kazimierczak the lawyer in Bratków Street, which was a good example of skeleton type construction and one o the few buildings of this type in the world. Michejda’s house is a different example of architecture. First meetings of Association of Architects in Silesia took place in this building, which was decorated with reliefs.

Michejda designed also other building such as Władysław Michejda’s house,Folk’s House in Chorzów (today Cultural Centre),Idylla Boarding House,a boarding house in Ustroń, a town hall in Wirek and many schools and churches.

Thanks to his work,four churches,eleven schools,three town halls ,nine public use buildings,twenty-seven houses and boarding houses were erected.

He was certainly one of the best architects of that time,however his best achievement was a consolidation of architects in the Upper Silesia which resulted in the erection of many marvelous modernistic buildings.