Polish (Poland)English (United Kingdom)
The history of the building

The building is situated in the city centre of Katowice in the frontage (The sequence of front elevations of the buildings in the row of the one side of the street) of Lompy Street in the corner of Ligonia and Powstańców Street near the building of Silesian Voivodeship Council. It was initiated by the famous design engineer Tadeusz Michejda from Lviv and its space was six thousand eight hundred eighty square metres.

The building encapsulates a typical style of the Interwar Period which created the image of modernistic Second Republic of Poland together with functionalism.

The austere architecture of the building impresses the visitor by its solid, surface and proportion. The building and its decoration makes a coherent integrity, giving voice to the contemporary idea about designing the building in homogenous style of the interior and exterior side. It is one of the well-preserved and the most precious interiors of Katowice architecture of the twentieth century with a noticeable influence of art deco. This trend is called semi-modernism by Katowice Architecture Explorers. It can be also defined as classicism which is succumbed to the strict rules of architecture of functionalism.

The building was ready to use in 1932,which is stated in archives. It is one sphere type, partly of reinforced concrete construction, walls and interior rooms were filled with bricks together with partial basement with full four ground storeys and the built up garret of the fifth floor.

During the Interwar Period, the registered office of the Finnish Embassy was at number 14 Lompy Street. After the nationalization between 1945 and 1947, the building was managed by the former Ministry of Metallurgy. In 1947,when the State Board of Industry was reformed, The Association of Iron and Steel Industry was established.

Despite it was not signed in the Registry of Monuments, it was thoroughly inspected by the Voivodship and Municipal Heritage Conservator in Katowice. Apart from the office building, the Association of Iron and Steel Industry was also in charge of so called government residence in Stelmacha Street 17 in Katowice, which was also upgraded by Tadeusz Michejda.

In 1982 aetr the reform and the abolition of all Associations in Poland, by the proposal of the contemporary Board of Directors and by its consent, the present building was passes to the Metallugry Supplies Centre with its registerded office in Warszawska Street.

In practice at that time, many important investments were carried out. They were connected with the modernization, repair and maintenance of the building. Modernistic chandeliers preserved inside. Whereas, the stain-glass window preserved in panes with the symbols referring to metallurgy performed by Jan Piasecki. In addition, a set of cubistic stained glass windows from Cracow Żeleński Art Studio is also well-preserved.

At present, the building of historic conference hall with the original pre-war illumination of the coffer ceiling, renovated stained glass windows and marble pillars are in good repair.

In 2007, the company commissioned the restoration of the elevation of the building with the full protection of the ledges situated above the zebra crossing along Lompy Street under the Conservator’s Supervision.

On the 21st of November 2011,the Silesian Voivodeship Heritage Conservator entered the building on the Registry of Immobile Monuments of Silesion Voivodeship by the reference number A/355/11

It was emphasized that all hitherto proceeding done by the company complied with the value of the building and all kinds of repair and conservation works were performed perfectly and contributed to magnificence of this place.

The building can be distinguished by the good repair of the elevation and interior equipment.

It is worth mentioning that the space of the building remained untouched till present. Apart from that, the object is a very good performance quality with a noticeable solicitude for details and high artistic values.